- "=" delimits etymologies.
- "_" is a variable that holds the previous-etymology value of a parameter.
- ";" delimits alternative headwords (i.e. alternative spellings) and additional categories.
- For hiragana, ";" precedes sound-changed hiragana, ":" precedes historical hiragana, and "|" separates readings.
- Pitch accent can be between 0-9 and can be followed by references (d = Daijirin, n = NHK).
- For etymology, enter one of the following: 1. "ltc" for Middle Chinese. 2. The components for a compound etymology, where ";" precedes transcription, ":" precedes translation, and "|" separates components. 3. "cする" for the conjunctive form of a verb.
Use the following wikicode on English entries in the Citations namespace: Here are a couple of scripts for auto-creating two types of Japanese categories: